Learn more about Auto Insurance

NOTICE: This document is for informational purposes only and is not intended to alter or replace the insurance policy. Additionally, this informational sheet is not intended to fully set out your rights and obligations or the rights and obligations of the insurance company. If you have questions about your insurance, you should consult your insurance agent, the insurance company, or the language of the insurance policy.

Full Coverage

“Full coverage” is a common term that people use to describe how much auto insurance coverage they have. Though there is no such thing as “full coverage,” it often implies that the policy has more than just Liability coverage.


Collision Coverage

When your insured vehicle overturns or collides with another object, Collision coverage pays for the damage to your vehicle, minus the deductible.  Collision coverage also may extend to a non-owned vehicle or one rented for personal use that is in your custody or that you are operating. Certain exclusions may apply. Refer to your policy


Comprehensive Coverage

If your insured vehicle is damaged due to an event other than a collision, Comprehensive coverage will pay for the damage. This includes damages from fire, theft, windstorm, flood and vandalism.



A deductible is the amount you agree to pay out of pocket for damage resulting from a specific loss or accident. Generally, choosing a higher deductible will lower your premium.


Liability insurance

Pays for injuries to the other party and damages to the other vehicle resulting from an accident you caused. It also pays if the accident was caused by someone covered by your policy, including a driver operating your car with your permission.

Liability limits

The maximum amount your liability policy will pay. Your policy must pay at least $25,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $50,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident. This basic coverage is called “25/50/25” coverage, while it is the minimum coverage allowed by most states, higher limits may be chosen and are recommended.


Here is why.  Imagine you are driving down the highway, hit some black ice and lose control of your vehicle.  You cross the center line and hit an oncoming car with a family of 4 inside.  3 of those family members are taken by ambulance to the hospital and require treatment.  The bill for their treatment totals $125,000.  With only the minimum limits of 25/50/25, you now become personally responsible for up to $75,000 of their medical bills as your insurance company will only pay up to $50,000.  You are also responsible for the cost of any repairs to their vehicle totaling over $25,000.

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage

Pays for your injuries and property damage caused by a hit-and-run driver or a motorist without liability insurance. It will also pay when your medical and car repair bills are higher than the other driver´s liability coverage.


Medical Payments (MedPay) Coverage

MedPay is an optional insurance coverage that pays for reasonable and necessary medical and funeral expenses for covered persons. These expenses must be incurred as a result of an auto accident.